27 April 2006

Rumsfeld is dumbfounded

I love this. The Washington Post reported today from a press conference held for Condi and Rummy on the second day of their top-secret excursion to Iraq:

A full 10 seconds of silence passed after a reporter asked Secretary of State
Condoleezza Rice and Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld what the intense
secrecy and security surrounding their visit to Iraq signified about the
stability of the country three years after the U.S.-led invasion. Rice turned to
Rumsfeld to provide the answer. Rumsfeld glared at the reporter. "I guess I don't think it says anything about it," he snapped. <Link>

It thrills me when journalists take it upon themselves to confront world leaders with the same questions that frustrate the entire world. What also frustrates me is that people like you and me who are really concerned about these issues are not able to stand up to these world leaders and ask them these questions as well.

I'm fed up with the excuses the Bush Administration continues to give for the calamity they've made of the world and the mess they're leaving for everyone else to clean up (or perhaps never to be cleaned at all). I'm fed up with those ignorant people who believe their bullshit and continue to live their lives thinking that their "divinely appointed" government leaders know what's best for the world.

I don't know what will become of all of this, but I'm still concerned. I'm concerned because I have a son who will one day be an adult living in the world that's being shaped for him right now. What kind of world will that be? Some see it a problem to dwell on the past--maybe it is a problem--so they focus intently on living in the present with all the mantras and slogans that come with it. But what about our future? Isn't that as important?

posted by Smith @ 4/27/2006 01:08:00 PM

1 Comments:

At August 11, 2006 4:04 PM, Blogger TexasYankee said...

I agree heartily.

 

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Elmhurst, Illinois

husband, father, son, brother, friend; curious, skeptical, cognizant, reasonable, liberal, freethinker

Google

Design by Beccary


Blogwise - blog directory