04 August 2005

Words Like "Yonder"

Jake recently posted a WORD OF THE WEEK on his outstanding blog, "SLO-MO Productions INC" and I thought that it was a grand idea upon which I would like to expand.
What a wonderful word, yonder. It makes our life better to understand that word, because it builds our vocabulary and makes us sound intelligent. What's even more wonderful about yonder? It has three different meanings. That makes it "YONDERFUL."
  1. As an adverb it would mean In or at that indicated place, as in "Those A-rabs over yonder."
  2. As an adjective it would mean Being at an indicated distance, usually within sight, as in "Insurgents are hiding in that yonder schoolhouse. Nucular them!"
  3. Similar to that, as a pronoun it would mean One that is at an indicated place, usually within sight, as in "Any of yonder Moz-lims look s'spicious t'you?"

Knowledge is a beautiful thing, so here's what I'd like to do: WORD OF THE DAY, only I will name each daily word by the day on which it comes (Monday's Word, Tuesday's Word, and so on). This, I think, would make the words a little more posessive and specialized. In addition, I would like les mots du jour to come in series'. Soooo.....

Starting today -- right now -- until I run out of words, I would like to spotlight a series of words that I will call:

Words and Slang from the Land of the Brits

Just to give you a preview of the knowledge you will have at the end of this series, I would like you to take a look at the description of my blog. "A Dab Hand Window Licker's Sticky Wicket." Anyone know what that means, anyone?............Anyone?.................NO YOU DON'T. Do you know why you don't? Because you're not from the land of the Brits. If you were from the land of the Brits you would know what it means, and you would understand, because it would make perfect sense.

Dayna (my wife) was born in the land of the Brits. Therefore, since I have knowledge in the words and slang from the land of the Brits, I will tell you that it means.

A Dab Hand Window Licker's Sticky Wicket translates to A highly skilled nutcase's difficult and awkward situation. Marvelous. Now, let's commence.

MONDAY'S WORD IS: COLLYWOBBLES, meaning "butterflies in the stomach." Let's see if we can use it in a sentence: [in an older lady's high-pitched British voice] "You're running late Geoffrey, hurry up and grab your collywobbles."

I wonder what tomorrow's word will be.....hoo hoo hooo!

posted by Smith @ 8/04/2005 01:17:00 PM

2 Comments:

At August 04, 2005 4:26 PM, Blogger Alan said...

This boy IS a freeek...but I love him.

Sticky Wicket and Collywobbles...simply brilliant!!!

 
At August 12, 2005 10:58 AM, Blogger Smith said...

I know.

 

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Elmhurst, Illinois

husband, father, son, brother, friend; curious, skeptical, cognizant, reasonable, liberal, freethinker

Google

Design by Beccary


Blogwise - blog directory