12 August 2005

FREE FAST FORWARD MAILING - ZIP+4 LOOKUP

THE FOUR-DIGIT MYSTERY

I have a particular interest in the
United States Postal Service. I like to buy stamps from their wide selection; even the stamps I don't need: I currently have 2¢, 5¢, and 10¢ stamps on hand (about 25 of each, you know, just in case). The stamp shown is my [current] favorite, and most frequently used.

Anyway, I've often asked myself, "Self, what the hell is that four-digit number following your zip code on the letters you receive?"


I didn't know what it was called at first, so I started calling it my "subzip." Since then, I've heard the number referred to as "super-zip," "plus-four codes," or "add-on codes."

The appropriate term actually refers to all nine digits of the zip code; it is called the "ZIP+4" system. The additional four digits identify a geographic segment within a 5-digit delivery area, such as a city block, an apartment building, or an individual post office box. When used, it eliminates a necessary mail-sorting step, and helps streamline the delivery. This minimizes handling, and significantly reduces the risk of lost mail or misdelivery. In many cases, using the ZIP+4 system can reduce the delivery time by 1 or 2 days, depending on distance and location. Simply BRILLIANT! Best of all, it's FRIGGIN' FREE!

"How do I find this four-digit number?"

Simple, you can click the link below (you might want to add this to your favorites), type in the address to which you are sending your correspondance, and BAM! You've got your magic numbers. It's definitely going to make you a rock star my friend.

USPS - ZIP Code Lookup

posted by Smith @ 8/12/2005 10:00:00 AM

2 Comments:

At August 13, 2005 2:37 PM, Blogger Alan said...

I have no use for this...all of my correspondence is done online...and that is little to none at all.

 
At August 15, 2005 8:21 AM, Blogger Smith said...

So sad that you are unable to use the wonderful and timeless tradition of cheques, stamps, and sending mail. Fun fun fun.

 

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Elmhurst, Illinois

husband, father, son, brother, friend; curious, skeptical, cognizant, reasonable, liberal, freethinker

Google

Design by Beccary


Blogwise - blog directory